Sunday 20 July 2008

100 Day Raw Food Challenge: Day 1


I am starting my 100 day raw food challenge to enjoying raw food including green juices. Let me introduce myself.

Here I am with the 47 year young cooked food look relaxing at the weekend. I hope to get clearer skin and sparkling eyes and look 21 again!! :-))

I am currently 122 pounds... I have put on 14 lbs since last year so I need to get them off again.

I have a 29.5 inch waist which I want to reduce.

I planned to go raw yesterday but I had a depressing day and was too upset so I am starting today.

Day 1: Saturday 19th July 2008

This morning I was without food and still upset. I decided to just have a warm roship herbal tea and nothing else and went off to the garage to see if they could mend my car. They said it was not the exhaust but a tyre making the horrid exhaust noise. £90 later I had a new tyre ( I had new tyres last year!) I drove off from the garage to the supermarket, the noise even louder than before!!

In the supermarket I just bought everything I could find organic in the fruit and veggy section, and some non-organic kale and avocado as there were not organic versions. I had so much and it is exciting. I got home and found homes for everything… just.. and then got overwhelmed… where do I start… what do I eat…. Help. I decided to tidy up the kitchen and then reward myself with a green smoothie. I made my first one with apples… I have never blended apples before.. seems strange but I thought it would be fun to try. I put in 1 cup water, 2 bananas, 2 apples (without cores) 1 slice pineapple and 2 handfuls of spinach. I decided to put in a tiny pinch of celtic sea salt (well ½ turn of my salt mill) and a teaspoon of agave. I do have a sweet tooth and I was worried this might not be comforting enough. The first glassful turned out to be wondeful, but the second was too sweet and the third went down a bit more slowly. I don’t think I need the agave in this. But I will do this again.

One hour later I was starving and grabbed some dried sharon fruit (persimmon in the US). A sugar blast, but I wanted something to chew. I was feeling good but ½ hour later I felt very tired and had to go to the loo several times to get rid of the smoothie.

Not sure what to eat today, and I am not really feeling like the energy to make anything. I did buy some cooked beetroot as this is one of my favourite foods and I think a simple salad with some cooked beetroot might help me get over my fed up ness for all raw salads. I think transitioning to all raw will not be done today. I could not find any raw beetroot so I did succumb to the cooked version. Still I may find the will-power to eat something else.

In the afternoon I wanted bread or something to chew so I took a piece of onion bread, spread on mashed avocado and then sprinkled on some seaweed sprinkles.

½ hr later I got some stomach pains, then a bit later lots of gurling. Then I got very cold and had a small headache. 1/2 hour later I was very hungry, or was it thirsty, or was it cravings?
My stomach hurt but it could be period pains as I get them bad at end of period. Drat I have just remembered that I used to get stomach pains after having dried sharon fruit last year. It could be the same thing. But I only had a few pieces.

Then my stomach hurt really badly, I did not know what to do. I tried some water. The water helped at first but then the pain just got worse. I also had a severe headache across top of nose. I am watching some TV and resting but I could not lie on the sofa for long so I keep changing from looking at Bunny Berry blog on internet and formula 1 on TV which I had recorded.

I need to get out more but I have to confess that I am not an exercise or even an outside kind of person. I prefer to relax with TV, internet or book. I need to start to change this, but it is not going to happen overnight. I have tried in the past and fail. This challenge is to find an easy way to transistion to the raw fit and healthy woman that I can be. I don’t want to keep failing or hating it. This time I want to find joy which is why I am not going to force myself to take anything but tiny jumps. Right now stopping my craving for veggy mayo is good enough for todays challenge.

About 6.00pm I needed to start thinking of eating before I got too hungry but I did not have any thoughts about what I was motivated to make to eat. I could definitely do this diet if I had a raw chef pop by each day with a load of food for me, already made…. But I am in the UK not US so that is not a real option right now.

I had bought some kale to make Chrissy’s goddess kale chips as so I looked up the recipe on the internet and made some. I had a bag of kale, so not sure what 2 heads were so I made 1/2 the sauce bit and left out the scallions. For some strange reason I could not find my tahini so I had to use almond butter. Not sure if this is a no no, but infact I dont like tahini so this might be better for me. I used almond butter and put it in my dehydrator, the smell is disgusting so I am not sure this will work out OK.

I just can't get the energy to make anything else to eat so I just ate a few apricots. They were not organic and though a beautiful colour they were still a bit hard. I am listening to Doris Day and I think I am going to end the day with a herbal tea as I need some comfort. I am proud that I have washed up twice today and that is enough for me in one day.

Finally much too late, I decided that I wanted to to eat and ate bananas cut in half, coated in almond butter and sprinkled with goji berries and small amount of honey. Then I went off to bed after watching more television. I love to record Oprah and Cold Case during the week and then watch them when I am resting. I will start thinking about exercise once I am back in the flow of raw.
So what did I eat today?
7.30 am: warm rosehip herbal tea
1.00pm: smoothie (1 cup water, 2 bananas, 2 apples (without cores) 1 slice pineapple and 2 handfuls of spinach.with tiny pinch of celtic sea salt and a teaspoon of agave)
4.00pm: onion bread, spread on mashed avocado and then sprinkled on some seaweed sprinkles
6.30pm: apricots
7.30pm: bananas with almond butter and goji berries
Bye for Now
RawCarol

No comments: